Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sad Day at the Campbell House...


On saturday at 2:00 pm Grandma and Grandpa drove down the street (Grandpa a little before Grandma :))and around the corner to Arizona....
One month shy of four years ago we moved to Laredo for the hubby's job. We were so excited because we weren't going to have to say goodbye to the comforts of living by our parents. We were leaving Canyon, Texas after having lived by and with (thank you again:)) my in-laws for six years. That's a total of ten years we have lived by family! We are so lucky!!
We haven't had to pay for a babysitter in ten years! (nor do we have to now, with Desiree being of the legal babysitting age and all...) We have always had somewhere to go for Sunday dinner for ten years! Holidays were never lonely. We have never had to go shopping alone or spent a birthday without family or had one school function pass by without someone there! School projects have been just a little bit easier having someone around to share their specific expertise with the kids. We have been so lucky!!
Our kids have been able to benefit from the wisdom and experience of an older generation and had playmates when there were none to be found or Mommy and Daddy were busy. We have been on family trips, borrowed cars for an extended period of time for free, had groceries brought over when needed, and always had a shoulder to cry on in tough times. The list goes on and on of the benefits of living by your parents. If you haven't been so lucky, we definitely recommend it! :)
So, Saturday was a hard day for everyone in our family as we saw my parents drive out of sight. The girls were both crying pretty hard. Desiree was "hulking," as we say in Norwegian, and that's when I snapped this picture. :(
We will always have good memories of the last ten years, but things will never be the same.
Thank you to all four of our parents for being there to take care of us when we needed it (and still are). We love you! Hopefully we can repay the favor someday! Looking forward to it......

3 comments:

deeceebee said...

Oh, Ingrid, this warmed my heart. What a wonderful technical world we live in where we can have contact in so many ways, keep updated and enjoy eachother's lives. It was a VERY sad day in my life as well. I'm headed toward a VERY SAD WEEK. Don't seem to be able to shake it, make the change and embrace the transition to living totally away from ANY of my children. I do not like it. :o(

Leslie said...

You're right...I wish I knew what that was like. My parents are in Missouri and have only come down once or twice in the 9 years I've been here. My in-laws live in Alabama and they come more often and stay for about a month, but I always miss them when they go. But, now you'll have the opporutunity to lean on others and get to know them well. :)

Vicksburg Young Women said...

If this picture doesn't bring your mom back, I don't know what will. You have been blessed to be by family. I am totally jealous of those years. We have spent many a lonely holidays in Mississippi. I look forward to reading your blog. Glad you and your family are doing so well. Glad i deg!

Sheri